Surrendering in Step One
We must understand that…
- we have Hit Bottom.
- will power alone, is not effective in dealing with the complex problem of our addiction
- powerless does not mean helpless.
- powerless is never an excuse to continue
- we are responsible for our recovery
- we cannot think our way out, we need to act our way into a new pattern of thinking.
- isolated incidents of control are not important, it’s the over all pattern. Staying stopped is the issue.
- Determination is completely up to us.
- We cannot bargain with the addiction. Half measures avail to nothing.
- Realizing we were acting insane. It’s not sane to repeat self-destructive behaviors.
- Recognizing how insidious the addiction is, how it continues to tell us lies, getting us to continue to act out again and again.
- Directing anger and frustration at the addiction, use energy from that for recovery.
- Acting out will never be the same, once we know we CAN recover.
- Learning to start to think “Is what I am about to do worth resuming that way of life?”